Looking for a new snack mix? You've got to try the Ultimate Italian Snack Mix! Italian-seasoned Crispix® cereal with zesty pepperoni, Pecorino Romano, Provolone and Grana Padano cheeses make this munchy a crowd pleaser. I developed this recipe in April 2011 and have received great reviews for its robust flavor. Is it the ultimate snack taste sensation? You be the judge!
|The Ultimate Italian Snack Mix|
The Ultimate Italian Snack Mix Recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups Kellogg’s® Crispix® cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- pinch of dried parsley flakes
- hot red pepper flakes, finely ground (optional)
- 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, cut to 1/8-inch thick, 1/4-inch squares
- 1/4 cup Provolone cheese, cut to 1/8-inch thick, 1/4-inch squares
- 1/2 cup Grana Padano cheese, cut to 1/8-inch thick, 1/4-inch squares
- 1/2 cup pepperoni 1-inch round stick, casing removed, cut to 1/8-inch thick, 1/4-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 225°F.
- In a glass measuring cup, add the olive oil, garlic salt, Italian seasoning, then stir. Microwave on high for 40 seconds, then stir to dissolve most of the salt.
- In a large bowl, add the Crispix® cereal. Stir the seasoned oil mixture, then drizzle it over the cereal. Immediately toss to evenly coat each piece of cereal.
- In a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish, add the seasoned Crispix® cereal. Sprinkle with parsley. Optional: For a spicier snack mix, also sprinkle with hot red pepper to taste, toss to combine.
- Bake for 5 minutes, toss, repeat, until the cereal is crunchy, about 20 minutes. Transfer the cereal onto a paper towel lined cookie sheet, and cover with a layer of paper towel. Allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, add the seasoned Crispix® cereal, cheese squares, and pepperoni pieces. Toss to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl. Enjoy!
NOTE: The seasoned Crispix® cereal can be prepared in advance and stored in an airtight container. Do not refrigerate. Add the cheese and pepperoni just before serving.